Friday, June 15, 2012

Scott McWalter: Part 2


Now that I am officially a member of the PG Family Y again, this time around I've decided to pass on the undeniably terrific gift of maintaining a healthy, active lifestyle to others in two ways: one, by becoming a volunteer group fitness instructor; and, two, through motivating friends and family to get memberships. Since not everyone's psychologically wired to get up in the morning and go to the gym, it took a bit of work convincing people; however, I'm proud to announce that since establishing this latter goal, I encouraged my parents to acquire Family Y memberships in January, and since then they've lost a collective 27lbs. They've trained exhaustively and now feel better than ever.  

Some people experience a lot of anxiety when starting something new, such as a new exercise program. What they have to realize is that anxiety isn't the enemy; it's just a clear indication to what they need to work on first in their life. It's unrealistic - in fact, probably a little unfair - to sit back and expect the Family Y to do all the hard work for you. You have to earn it for yourself, and the most powerful way to do this is by setting goals. I'll never be able to emphasize how powerful setting meaningful goals can be. It's life-changing! I started setting goals two years ago - daily, weekly, monthly and long-term - and it's absolutely astonishing how quickly it changes your life.


I can honestly say that spanking goals is one of my favourite things in life; in fact, if it weren't for creating and following through with goals, I wouldn't be half way through the YMCA National Certification Course for becoming a certified fitness leader. It's a proven fact that once you write down a goal, you're more than 100% more likely to accomplish (spank) it. I challenge you to test this theory out - you'll be amazed how productivity-enhancing such a simple step  can be, and how quickly you’ll start receiving dividends.

Once I start instructing Cycle Fit this autumn, maybe you'll even make it one of your goals to attend one of my classes. Together, we'll be able to contribute to the Family Y of Prince George's goal of building a healthy community. I look forward to seeing you there :)

Scott A. McWalter, B.Comm.
Email:    mail@scottmcwalter.com
Twitter:  KitsBeachCanuck

No comments:

Post a Comment